Who I am?
A highly experienced and strategically focused Digital Transformation professional, with over 10 years experience within Digital and Business transformation.
I have a proven record of success in the design and implementation of innovative, progressive and user centric projects and programmes within highly regulated central government departments and other public sector organisaitons. With a passion for focusing on delivering value, and solving problems that matter for users,
With the ability to deliver complex change projects, programmes and services, whilst retaining both a user centric and stakeholder management focus as the core drivers of progress.
What I have achieved:
DELIVERY DIRECTOR: Difrent
October 2019 – Present
● Appointed to manage multi million client contracts to ensure the delivery of outcomes within a timely fashion
● Leading delivery of large scale complex digital services across multiple client contracts to millions of users using agile methodology
● Bringing in principles and ways of working to ensure delivery across all teams and contracts
● Landing multiple teams into the NHSSBA and NHSX to lead on COVID-19 work
DEPUTY DIRECTOR – Head of Product & Delivery: Care Quality Commission
June 2018 – October 2019
● Appointed to lead delivery of large scale complex digital services to millions of users using agile methodology
● Working with the Head of Architecture to agree outcomes and develop the roadmap for the new Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system. Working with the Programme to develop the vision, scope and process maps to help develop the new business case for the CRM system.
DEPUTY DIRECTOR – Head of Product & Design: DWP Digital Group
Apr 2015 – Jun 2018
● Led a directorate of 350 staff, including product owners, business analysts, researchers & Designers with a 4M pound budget nationally across 5 programmes of work.
● Developed the Product Management training course and career framework now used across government
● Leading on embedding user centric design into all Programmes, prioritising digital projects and highlighting risks to the Executive team.
● Led the Digtial Health portfolio; delivering the transformation agenda fro DWP Health and Disability digtial services. Developing the vision and scope, working with policy and operation teams to set priorities, establishing the strategy and Target Operating Model for DWP Health and Disability Services
● Development of the programme roadmap, working with NHS Digital and stakeholders across DWP Operations to agree areas for investment.
● Led on the delivery of innovative products and services, including the DS1500 digital service to better support terminally ill claimants, integrating with the NHS spine, the “Access to Work service” and the “Send your Fit Note Service”
● Achieved £1m+ savings in the fisrt year, with 1.4m+ users annually, 10+ days reduction in customer journey time within 6 months, including 3 minute online completion, and 80% reduction in avoidable calls for the ‘Apply for a Budgeting Loan Service’
● Held operational accountability for end to end transformation of service design, back end processes, and customer journeys; including client facing paper, telephony and digital access channels
● Stopped development of the “Funeral Payments online service” due to a lack of user needs, identifying that better value for money and user satisfaction could be achieved by improving an existing telephony line.
SENIOR PRODUCT OWNER: DWP Identity Team
Mar 2014 – Apr 2015
● Re-engaged by DWP to lead agile delivery teams, plan and prioritise delivery estimates, develop user stories and Epics, identify, analyse and monitor risks, and escalate issues relating to the strategic design or delivery
● Led multidisciplinary team to test introduction of Gov Verify into DWP.
● Working across departments to understand risks, constraints and timescales.
TRANSFORMATION LEAD: Government Digital Services
Sep 2012 – Mar 2014
● Seconded to liaise between GDS and Office for Public Guardian (OPG) digital transformation teams to ensure effective delivery of the digital Programme and resultant cultural and organisational changes
● Developed Target Operating Model, establishing future proofing of organisation’s vision and standards
My Qualifications and Skills:
- APMG Agile Project Management Foundation & previous Practitioner
- APMG Principles of Change Management
- GDS Service Manager training
- GDS Lead Assessor training
- GDS Product Management training
A track record of delivery: ● Delivering Products and Services that meet users needs, designing for vulnerable users and ensuring Products are accessible, in line with Digital Design Standards. ● Using data to drive improvements in performance deliverables to deliver the right outcomes for users ● Managing full life-cycle agile projects from inception & Discovery into Live & post Live continuous improvement
Leading and implementing Digital Transformation: ● Collating & analysing data, user needs & business requirements to scope, plan & evaluate complex projects & programmes to aid prioritisation at the organisational level. ● Skilled in reviewing processes to identify transformation opportunities based on user and business needs ● Experience of developing innovative strategies and visions based on user needs ● Evaluating potential system and process developments to mitigate risk and maximise ROI.
Blending agile and waterfall delivery: ● Developing roadmaps for programmes bringing together agile and waterfall work streams to identify commonality and dependencies and timescales, especially when working with commercial suppliers. ● Leading multidisciplinary teams within projects and programmes, working with senior leaders and stakeholders to scope and deliver work that delivers value agnostic of the delivery methodology.
Empowering myself and others ● Experienced in the leadership and management of diverse, multi-skilled and cross-functional teams nationally ● Challenging hierarchy and governance to ensure teams are empowered to deliver, removing blockers & issues ● Mentoring, coaching, working in the open to show good leadership, sharing best practices and opportunities to learn ● Skilled in influencing others, developing relationships with stakeholders and internal/external users to ensure alignment. ● Liaising between operational, policy, strategy, financial and customer facing business areas and project teams to agree outcomes and ensure successful delivery.